Sunday, August 25, 2013

Confessions of a Spoiled Rotten Missionary Wife

I admit sometimes I consider myself the most unlikely of candidates to be considered a missionary wife. I mean before coming to Peru I had never made my own applesauce (which I do on a regular basis now. As a matter of fact peels were flying tonight!) or even considered making my own baby wipes (this is next weeks new adventure). It is a for sure thing that I will never do cloth diapers - not because they are not awesome. I know lots of amazing women who use them but it just isn't for me. We all have our limits you know. Never before had I imagined not giving my kids a bath for an entire week, but here life is just different. No bath tub. Somtimes no power, and that changes everything now doesn't it. I never really realized how spoiled I was till I came here.
**Just for the record Peru has a lot of things. You can get lots of American products, but you will have to pay a little more for them and the trick is actually finding them - which can take forever, and who knows if you find it once, if you will ever be able to find it again. They do not really stock items here as I have found, which turns you into an impulse buyer for sure! Oh look they have corn chips, let's buy ten bags!**
I miss my high heels, having girls nights, eating fancy chocolates, and going out to high priced coffee shops for a few hours of relaxation. I long for my cowboy boots and country music. I decided not to bring my boots because I thought I would stick out like a sore thumb here, and I was right - but that does not change the fact that I miss them. John and I had really counted on being able to access Pandora while we were here too - then I could have had all the country music I wanted! Guess what?? Pandora doesn't work in Peru - really?
I miss my kids not getting sick all the time. I miss having a yard for the kids to play in with all of their toys. We have plenty of toys here but it just isn't the same. Sometimes I look at my kids and wonder if I have robbed them of the "American childhood" by coming here - or have I just given them different opportunities? In reality the kids are just fine and they are pretty much considered famous here. A guy in the super market today told us to warn people back home that are kids are going to be movie stars here - it is just so rare to see such light skinned children. I miss all of Hannah's beautifully color coordinated, ridicuosly, frivolous, girly outfits. Shouldn't every girl be gorgeously dressed? Somtimes I wonder if by coming here we have somehow managed to avoid the rat race of American culture, and maybe that is better. Since being here in Peru I have realized how materialistic I had become.
I miss hot summer nights in Missouri, grilling in the backyard (back when we had a yard), green grass that has been freshly cut, and playdates at clean parks.
I miss my dishwasher. It seems as though I spend all day doing the dishes. I miss my microwave - yes we had one but it has been out of commission since the 3rd of July. We have taken it in to the store we bought it from only to wait patiently to someday - hopefully- recieve another one. Glad we have a toaster and a TV - although like a lot of things that we've bought here, they are electrically spastic. Our TV randomly turns on whenever it wants - which is pretty creepy at 3 o'clock in the morning playing childrens DVDs. Our toaster also works when it wants to.
I really should not be complaining though becuase at least we have these things. I think of all of my friends in the Sudan who have NONE of these - these are the real missionary women. This is what I mean by calling myself a spoiled rotten missionary wife. Sometimes even with all of these amenities, I feel as though I am not cut out for this. It's true, I am not cut out for this. Inadequate - for sure. I do know one thing for sure though - God has called us to Peru. US as in both of US. Sometimes I am not sure why God has called me to a place so far and so different from home - but I know without a doubt we are here for reason. Sometimes God asks us to do things that do not necessarily make us happy, but they are the best things for us. God loves me and knows what is best for me - and for me right now it is Peru. I rest in this and in this alone because I know by myself I am a wimp - just ask John. He heard me scream tonight when I went to blend the applesauce and grabbed a worm on the blender - um that is just grose!
I am definitely no missionary wife hero - just an average, everyday, person who God has called to Peru. Not special, just doing what God has called me to in the place He has called me to.
Just so you know Peru is a beautiful country with many wonderful places to see and to visit. I think it is only normal to miss home regardless of how beautiful the country is or how wonderful the people here are. We have been warmly welcomed here in Peru, sometimes I just miss home that's all.
Here are a couple pictures of the kids I took today. Yes, Hannah is in a color coordinated swimsuit/headband that I brought from home!

 photo DSC_0623ab_zpsbe9826e0.jpg  photo DSC_0463ab_zps4817ddc4.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading your post! I totally feel the same way! I wonder the same things about the kids, and miss things that are totally frivolous. But I do know that God put us in this situation for a reason even if we don't know that reason for a long time! Thanks for being so real on your blog!
    The housing post was very eyeopening as we will also be looking for housing there in a couple months. :)
    Look forward to meeting you in person in a few months.
    Konika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I can totally relate to how you feel. We look forward to meeting you guys in a few months! Happy language learning :)

      Delete
  2. Crystal! I love hearing about life for you guys in Peru. Than you for being so transparent. I must say, you are doing your kids the best thing EVER! For me, growing up in eastern Europe, are my favorite memories. We never had a yard, my brother and I shared tiny rooms, our homes were always miniature, the floors would be moving with cockroaches,sometimes being outside was unsafe,it was hard to find food at times, etc.But all I remember are the good times. That my mom and dad loved us and made us feel secure (even when everything was constantly changing), I remember all my little local gypsy friends, the adventures of exploring new places.
    Don't worry, this is soo good for them :).

    -Rachel Wall (Joel Beckham's Sister)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel for the words of encouragement. It is so good to hear those things from former missionary kids. I hope our kids will have such fond memories as you have.

      Delete