Thursday, April 2, 2009

Conch Shells

I was unsuccessful in trying to con that man who was selling the conch shells into telling me where he actually finds these giant shells. It makes sense though because, he makes a small living off of selling me these gigantic shells. I still have not decided whether to buy one. I am opting on not getting one since I would have to carry the giant thing all the way back with me. They are beautiful shells though. I went shell searching near Portsmouth and discovered a few here and there but none in comparison with his beauties. What is so unique about the conch shell here is that they actually use them for something. Can you guess what?!? They use them to signal to a village that they have caught fish! Yes, whenever they have come in with a catch they blow into them and this signals the fish lovers to come and start the bidding. Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment